I've rooted... now what?!
A list of apps and things to do
Make CBS, hulu, etc work
You will need to change your useragent in Chrome.
- Bring up the browser menu, then go to “more”, and then “settings”. From there go to “advanced” and then “mode”, and finally change the user agent. (Thanks to GTVHub.)
- Once there, you have two choices
- Copy or type in a useragent. It's best to use a real one; you can find one by going to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ from a normal computer. Going there on your GTV will show the current user agent on the device.
- An alternative is to use the "Generic" user agent, instead of typing in a custom one. As of 3/5/2012, Hulu can be accessed when using the "Generic" user agent in combination with the Exploitee.rs root. Amazon Instant Video is known to not work with a useragent of "Mozilla/5.0" but will work with more complex useragent strings and has not been tested with the "Generic" useragent.
There is a video of this process on YouTube. Thanks icezer0z
Installing X86 Superuser.apk
- Download the x86 version of Superuser.apk
- Extract the downloaded .zip file to a folder on your computer, making note of where you've extracted it for the following 2 steps.
- Upload Superuser.apk to the googletv /system/app/ directory with the following command substituting the first argument "system/app/Superuser.apk" with the correct location.
adb push system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- Upload the su binary to the googletv /system/bin/ directory with the following command substituting the first arugment "system/bin/su" with the correct location.
adb push system/bin/su /system/bin/su
- Use the following command to add the correct permissions to the su binary on the device
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
- Reboot the box
adb shell reboot
Enable Non-Market Apps on Sony GTV
"Although the information we release has been verified and shown to work to the best our knowledge, we cant be held accountable for bricked devices or roots gone wrong."
In 3.2 Sony removed the ability to install apps from non-marketplace sources. You can still install via ADB, but not via dropbox, chrome etc.
To fix, on a rooted box, connect via adb, and fire up a shell (adb shell), then:
/bin/busybox sh /bin/busybox sed -ir "s/install_non_market_apps0/install_non_market_apps1/" /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db reboot
Done, You will now be able to download the APKs directly, and then install from your favorite file browser (e.g. MyFiles(s), Astro(f), RootExplorer($)...)
Adding NTFS Support To Rooted Sony
Information on adding ntfs support to your rooted sony build can be found here: Sony NTFS
Apps that are available now
free terminal emulator This app has other features, and not all of them work on GTV. Note that pressing enter in the emulator will not execute a line; in fact, doing so will confuse busybox. Press the button instead.
LauncherPro a few features don't work
Apps that need work before they are available on GTV
NSZ-GT1 won't play 3D Blu-ray discs in 3D
Possible causes of this problem and their solutions:
- Sony introduced 3D support in the 2012.01.26 update. Check your software version in Settings -> About to make sure that you have 2012.01.26 or later. If you have an older version of the software, you can update it by checking for updates in the menu or by downloading the appropriate update from Sony Update Downloads and installing it.
- 3D will not work if your display resolution is not set to Auto or if you have 3D set to Off. In the Settings -> Picture set both of these to Auto in the respective submenus.
- Of course, if your TV doesn't support 3D you won't have 3D.